Everyone is probably familiar with the plank exercise now. Not so long ago, all fitness instructors began to talk about it, plans and tables for running the "bar" for every day appeared on the Internet and social networks. Let's find out how to do it right? How to make a lesson plan and what real results can be achieved with this.
Most people have the misconception that by doing the plank for a month, you can achieve the perfect figure. Let's see what can really be achieved by doing this, undoubtedly, a useful exercise. But we warn you right away: the article is purely exploratory in nature. This is not a call to action. Only a specialist can tell you how to properly reduce weight and what methods to use for this.
Plank for weight loss: the best exercises for the whole body
The bar is an isometric exercise that provides a static and power load on the muscles of the abdomen and body. During its implementation, the press is involved, the area between the shoulder blades and the lower back, forearms, thighs and buttocks. It is presented in various options for the complexity of execution, suitable for both beginners in sports and professional athletes.
The plank works well as part of a complex, along with other exercises for problem areas. Before that, you definitely need to do some warm-up and after stretching.
What is a board?
The plank is an exercise that strengthens the rectum and oblique abdominal muscles. It has several options, which differ in the complexity of the execution and the area that works in the process.
Exercise is quite popular in the fitness industry. It is part of a variety of complex and functional workouts. Its varieties can be found in yoga classes, Pilates.
Types of boards
- classic - on straight arms;
- classic - on the elbows;
- with twist;
- with push-ups;
- with outstretched arms or legs.
There are many execution options. New ideas are constantly emerging to complicate the classic version. But for those who are losing weight, something else is important - it is possible to get rid of excess weight in this way, if such an exercise will help to remove the stomach and sides.
Helps for weight loss
The plank is a good strength exercise that works the abdominal muscles. It effectively solves them, helps to strengthen them. But for weight loss, this is not important, but a calorie deficit: you have to spend more than what you eat.
To burn an impressive amount of calories, you have to hold the bar all day! Therefore, it is not worth hoping that it will burn the kilograms accumulated over the years.
But the bar can, even should, become part of a complex of physical exercises, combined with proper nutrition, as well as complex group psychotherapy to correct eating habits.
Advantages of the dashboard
The plank is a good functional exercise that doesn't require special equipment, sportswear, or a lot of space. Almost anyone can do it. In addition, it has a number of other advantages:
- the minimum time to complete;
- no need to go to the gym, you can do it at home;
- can be performed even after eating, there is no need to eat certain foods before and after training;
- has a small number of contraindications;
- improves general well-being, coordination of movements.
Exercise is suitable for strengthening muscles, but it will not be possible to lose weight with it.
During the exercise, you need to listen to your feelings. If you feel discomfort somewhere, for example, pain in the joints or muscles, you need to stop immediately, wait until the physical condition has completely stabilized. If the pain persists, you should consult a specialist, it could be a pinching or a sprain.
In addition, it is forbidden to perform the exercise in such cases:
- spinal injuries, displacement of the intervertebral discs, hernia;
- high blood pressure;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- postoperative period;
- during a cold or flu, with acute inflammatory diseases.
With special attention when performing the exercise, it is necessary to be a girl during menstruation. Tension in the abdominal muscles can cause cramps, pain, or increased bleeding. It is also not recommended to do the plank for pregnant women or women who have recently given birth.
As already mentioned, the plank is a type of exercise that helps strengthen the muscles in the body. Proper and regular exercise will help tighten the bust, make it more prominent. Efficiency, the results are largely determined by the following factors:
- regularity: it is necessary to perform the barre at least three times a week;
- number of approaches - it is better to do a full workout that combines several types of straps;
- correct execution, strict compliance with technology;
- proper nutrition, healthy sleep, daily routine, correction of eating habits - without this, the bar will not give any results.
If you do the plank regularly for at least 30 days, you will notice the first results. Usually the condition of the skin changes: it becomes smoother, toned, as a result of which an overall impression of weight loss is created.
How much time at the table
The optimal time is selected individually. For an unprepared person 10 seconds will be enough, when an athlete can last up to 10 minutes. What happens to the body as time increases:
- In the first 20-30 seconds there is a feeling of tension, which grows every second. At the same time, blood circulation in the working areas increases, oxygen is actively supplied. For all of this, the body expends about 5 calories. For starters, this will suffice.
- After a minute, there is a feeling of warmth, slight tremor. It seems that the muscles are "clogged", they have become dense, stone. People usually give up at this stage, because they don't want to endure the discomfort or pain at all.
- After three minutes a "second wind" opens. Pain, discomfort subside slightly, the body gets used to the load. At this point, it's best to stop and start over, so the workout will be more effective.
- It is not recommended to hold the bar for more than 10 minutes - this is fraught with the destruction of muscle fibers.
Most fitness trainers believe that it is better to do several 30-second reps rather than defending 3-4 minutes at a time. So the body does not have time to get used to the load, to adapt. Each new approach is a new test for him, which will be increasingly difficult to face.
Regularity of classes
Lessons must be regular. It is better to spend a few minutes at the end of the morning exercises on the bar, when the body is already warmed up, ready for the load.
If you cannot immediately do the number of approaches required by the program, you can divide the lesson into two parts: do one with exercises, the other 2-3 hours after dinner, just before bedtime. If a workout is planned in the evening as well, it is best to include the bar as well.
If there is no progress with regular classes, you should pay attention to the following points:
- load intensity - if the body is used to regular exercise, you can not only increase the time, but try the harder version and thus control the process;
- wrong technique. In the next paragraph of the article we will consider the correct sequence, typical mistakes of beginners.
The main thing to understand is that it is not so much the quantity that matters, but the quality of the training.
How to do it right
The execution technique is as follows:
- feet are shoulder-width apart;
- elbows are strictly under the shoulder joints;
- the gaze is directed to the fingers, the neck is straight;
- the stomach is sucked in, there is no deflection in the lower back;
- legs, abdominal muscles and arms are tense.
The name of the exercise describes the technique: the torso should be extended in a straight line - the bar. There should be no creases anywhere.
The technique of execution at first glance seems simple. However, mistakes happen, especially for beginners. The most common are the following:
- The pelvis is above the head. In this position, the load is redistributed, passes to the muscles of the arms and forearms. At the same time, discomfort is felt in the shoulder joints.
- Neck flexion, head lift. When performing the bar, you need to look at the fingers down. When you look forward, a deflection is formed in the neck, the load on the cervical vertebrae increases. This is especially dangerous for people suffering from osteochondrosis.
- Elbows too wide. It is not easy to maintain balance in such a state. The load on the back muscles, shoulder joints and elbows increases. All of these can cause injury.
- Flexion in the lower back. When performing the exercise, it is necessary to monitor the position of the body. It should be straight, like a board, like a rope. If not, pain in the lower back may occur.
If the board is made incorrectly, you cannot harm yourself. Therefore, you should not chase a time increase, it is better to keep ten seconds, but correctly.
For beginners it only takes 4-5 minutes per workout per day. This time is enough to get used to the load, to prepare for other more difficult exercises.
Beginners can use the following program:
|One approach||Delivery time|
|The third||30-45 seconds|
If after a circle there is still strength, you can repeat it about 2-3 times. This workout can be done in the morning and in the evening.
The main thing is to develop a habit, to make regular exercises.
The program for men is a little more difficult than the one for beginners and women. It involves the use of several types of boards in one complex with the maximum study of the muscles of the body. Representatives of the stronger sex are usually able to maintain the desired position longer due to the natural features of the body, strong arms and back.
The men's program can include the following types of straps:
- with alternating raising of arms and legs;
- with weights.
For each approach, a separate version of the bar. The duration of one approach varies from 45 to 60 seconds. Men can do about 3-5 circles in one workout.
So it is biologically established that excess weight in women mainly accumulates in the abdomen and hips. Due to this, the fair sex has a huge number of complexes, they lack self-confidence and their beauty. Wanting to remedy the situation, they follow strict diets and torture the body with intense workouts.
But, in fact, you can lose weight without severe dietary restrictions. It is worth changing habits, excess weight will go away on its own. But the old harmful occupations must be replaced by new and healthy ones. As an option - regular workouts, including the bar.
The program for women might look like this:
- approach one - the classic plank on straight arms or elbows;
- second approach - lateral (left);
- third approach - lateral (right);
- fourth approach - always classic on straight arms or elbows.
For the best effect, you need to make about three of these circles. The duration of each approach is 30-40 seconds.
Modeling of the dashboard body
The main benefit of doing planks regularly is to strengthen your core. The body visually changes, becomes stronger, toned.
In addition, when done correctly, it can bring such benefits:
- strengthening the back muscles, which is especially important for people who lead a predominantly sedentary lifestyle (office workers, schoolchildren, students, retirees);
- reduction of pain in the neck and spine - plank exercise is often included in the complex of physiotherapy exercises prescribed by a doctor;
- increased resistance, since it is not easy to stand on the board for a long time, the muscles stiffen, tremors appear, and you have to overwhelm yourself to defend the right moment;
- improvement of blood circulation, active supply of cells with oxygen;
- mood improvement: when performing any physical exercise, the production of hormones, including dopamine and serotonin, is activated.
Let's take a closer look at some basic board options.
Ideal for beginners - classic. It is recommended to master it first, it allows you to remember the technique, as well as to understand which muscles are included in the work and how the body reacts to it.
Beginners can do simplified options:
- slightly spread your legs, but then make sure that the load does not pass to the shoulders and forearms;
- perform on straight arms and not on the elbows;
- they get closer in time, but they increase their number.
Advanced athletes can try more difficult options:
- perform while standing on the elbows;
- keep your feet together with your heels together;
- increase the duration of an approach;
- use leg weights;
- do push-ups in between.
It is important to choose a complex based on your feelings. So it will not be perceived as torture, it will be more comfortable to do it every time.
The side plank is performed while standing on one arm. At the same time, the lateral muscles of the abdomen and waist are mainly included in the work. Hold each side for at least 15 seconds.
When performing, you need to make sure that the body is extended in a straight line. There should be no sagging in the pelvic area, severe discomfort in the shoulder joints. It is best for beginners to perform it on straight arms, advanced on the elbows.
You can complicate the option by using weights for the legs and dumbbells for the arms. It will be very difficult to statically linger in this position.
Plank with limb extension
After the classic version is mastered, you can move on to the complications. To do this, use the bar with the removal of the hand. People call it "Superman". The position of the usual exercise is taken, after which one arm is raised directly in front of you or slightly to the side. The pose is fixed for at least 30 seconds.
You can further complicate the exercise by tearing off the left arm and right leg at the same time. Then vice versa. Exercise works well on the muscles of the back, arms and abs.
The main thing, as in other options, is to follow the technique, do not forget that the whole body should be extended in one line.
30 days around the bar program
There are many different programs available on the Internet. The most popular is "30 days at the bar". Its main condition is to challenge yourself and practice every day, increasing the time, whatever happens. That plan is designed for 30 days and looks like this:
|Day||Time in seconds||Day||Time in seconds|
This program will help the body adapt, get used to a new type of load.
Weight loss plank for beginners, board
A monthly beginner program might look like this:
|Day||Time in seconds||Day||Time in seconds|
The proposed program can be modified independently, adding 5-10 seconds per day.
On the Internet you can find many reviews, photos from the series "before and after the course of classes". You shouldn't believe it, because a good result is based on a lot of work, which is not just about making the bar.